Thursday, June 27, 2024

Classroom Decor Ideas for the New School Year - #2 Woodlands Nature Classroom

I LOVE nature...I mean, I REALLY LOVE nature. Camping, going to the beach, walking in the woods...those things are my jam. I love it so much that I made it my master's degree. I took have my masters in science outdoor education. I want students to enjoy nature as much as I do and find respite in it as well. Nature was my inspiration for this decor. It is a woodland theme with muted natural watercolor elements thrown in as well. Let's take a look at some of the pieces inside this classroom decor set.  

Woodlands Forest Nature Decor


First up is the classroom cash. When I go with a theme, I like to go all in. It isn't just the decor, it is everything. That includes my behavior management system too. I created a set of classroom cash to use with this theme. The cash comes in different increments like real money, but with a woodlands twist. Another part of this is class coupons. I use my coupons in a classroom store. Students can use their money to purchase class coupons for privileges in the classroom. Some of those privileges include things like: take your shoes off in class, line leader for the day, trade spots for the day, show-n-tell/talent show, evens or odds on one assignment for the day, etc. Students go crazy over these coupons. I allow them to be used throughout the year with the expiration date just being the end of the year. 


These are my class book bins. Each student gets one to use to store their library books in. They may have 5 books at a time. I love keeping a neutral colored bin that goes with any theme...black has been perfect, and I have had it for about 5 years. Each year it takes just a few minutes to print out new tags with student names on them. I simply slip them into the pocket on the front of each bin and voila, they are ready to go! I also use these same tags on my classroom library bins.
 

Every early elementary classroom needs a numberline and this one is great in the muted watercolors that are used throughout the set. This line goes up through 120, instead of stopping at the traditional 100. I like my students to see how the numbers above 100 work too. 


Getting a student work display area is a cinch with these full color or blackline posters. I hang student work coming soon posters wherever I will be hanging student work after school starts. It gives each student a spot to add their own assignments in the days ahead and throughout the entire year. 

Students need reminders of keeping the right mindset. These growth mindset posters feature different animals and nature themed pictures with sayings on each one such as, "Mistakes are proof you are trying." or "If at first you don't succeed, you're normal." I love having growth mindset quotes in my class to encourage students to work through the tough challenges. 


This bulletin board display is perfect for the start of the year. Your class of students really IS embarking on an adventure together. This would be the perfect springboard for talking about their hopes and dreams for the year. 


Having math scaffolds are so important, especially as students are learning tough concepts. These multiples posters go up through the 12's and are one of the most used posters in my classroom as students learn their times tables and division facts. 


Having an affirmation station is just an added way to show students their worth. I like having one around a mirror so they can see themselves as they read the affirmations. I have bathrooms in my classrooms, so that is where I hang one. 


I keep a welcome banner on my wall all year. Students see it as they walk into the classroom each morning. It stays all year because I like students to know they are always welcome and a part of my class. 


I like to use voice levels in my classroom to help with classroom management. I can easily use this chart with a clothespin to clip onto the voice level they are suppose to be at. This also has a waiting room to help with class interruptions while teaching small groups as well. 


Up close of some of the growth mindset posters. 


Calendar and other Woodlands themed decor goodness...




No comments:

Post a Comment