Saturday, October 10, 2026

What I do When Half the Class Doesn't Get it

Have you ever worked so hard to get your students to understand a concept, and then you get to the end of the unit and half of your students struggle through and fail the final test? What should you do then?

Just remember, there are all different levels of learners and not everyone learns at the same speed. Some students just need more time. 

So, here's what I try to do along the way and even when that just isn't enough. 

Our math curriculum has an extra practice page for each lesson. I try to grade the math lessons before the day is out (if possible), reteach if needed, and send a practice page home with students who need more time to learn the skill. As we go through the lessons in the unit, I try to do this each day. Honestly, it doesn't always happen, but that is my goal. 


Sometimes I will throw in an extra day or days of practice before the test. But, if we take the test and still several students fail, I will reteach the unit. I will send students home with extra practice and let parents know that their child struggled and needs more time. I will also ask them to use the practice pages to help them at home as well. I will give students, who passed, some enrichment work to do.

All students deserve to learn. Students who need more time should be given just that. I want to see all my students working successfully. 


No comments:

Post a Comment