Wednesday, May 6, 2020

At Home Learning


Times have changed and so many families are now in charge of their own student's learning. Many parents are juggling their jobs while trying to make sure their student does not slip behind in their learning. Schools are giving a wide-range of support from basically non-existent to highly involved. We've taken on new ways of doing things, learned new platforms like Zoom, Google Teams, Google Classroom, Schoology, and Seesaw. 

With all of that, teachers are heartbroken knowing that a quarter of the year was snatched away from them, unexpectedly without closure. In the midst of all that, teachers are finding ways to connect, teach, and keep the learning going.

I want to share 5 ways that I am making that happen in my classroom.

1. Streamlining activities
I am attempting to combine some things wherever possible. We are just putting together our last packet for learning (the students and families will drive through to pick up tomorrow). I have found ways to work smarter, not harder. I streamlined my reading/social studies with a single printable unit that my students will use. They will be practicing comprehension strategies with non-fiction text that I hope will be engaging, because it features children or parts of childhood and the history behind them. One of my favorite articles talks about an epidemic that happened in the 40's and 50's, Polio. It tells the heartbreaking reality of children stuck in hospitals, sad and alone. It tells the story of a retired teacher who also is in one of the Polio wards with the children because she has also succumbed to the disease. What I love about this story is that this teacher does what teachers do everyday, she worked to make things better for her young hospitalmates. She invented a game that they could play easily, without having to read. It later became a world-famous game, Candy Land! 

I hope that these articles will be ones that my students can connect to and also learn from. The other articles tell about summer camp, orphan trains, child labor, children traveling through the mail, and the kid who invented popsicles. I cannot wait to discuss these with my kids. I have a feeling they will bring about some thought provoking conversations. 


2. Games
Games give students a sense of normalcy and fun. I love to do games for morning meeting in class, but doing them over Zoom has been exciting as well. The students are so engaged. This next time, I am going to send home a printable booklet of one of our classroom multiplication games. The good thing is that it will be something familiar and it is something they can play with little supplies and with a parent or sibling. 

3. Mail
Let's face it, kids LOVE mail. In the digital age, a real piece of mail is such a thrill. I enjoy writing little postcards to encourage the students and let them know that I miss them. They look forward to receiving them as well. 

4. Being Available
I try to make myself available throughout the day by text, phone, email, and Zoom. We have an hour Zoom class every day, but sometimes that is not enough. I have babies at home with no one who speaks English. There is no one that can help them complete any of the work. So being available reminds them that I care and that I want to help. I am doing what I can to keep them going during this less than ideal time.

5. Praying
If you are a praying teacher, I urge you to pray for your students. We don't know what they have gone home to. For some, school IS their safe place. It is where they look forward to going to escape the problems at home. Just because I grew up in a great family doesn't mean all of my students are getting that same opportunity. Some don't have enough food. Some of their parents have lost jobs. I am spending time praying for each of them. I hope they know that if they need anything, I am here. I let them know that I am praying for them. I think it brings them comfort. 

These are just five quick things that I am doing to try to make it through this time with some semblance of order. If these are ideas you can take with you and put into practice, please do it. Remember, we are not doing "online learning." We are doing "emergency learning." We are in the middle of a national crisis. But in the midst of it all, there are things we can do to not just survive, but thrive!

If you are interested in any of the resources mentioned, click on the pictures below. 









No comments:

Post a Comment