Thursday, November 15, 2018

Teacher Evaluation


Anyone else with me that those two words, "teacher evaluation" just get you feeling all the nervous feelings humanly possible? I don't know why it always gets me feeling so nervous, but it does. I've been counting down the days until my first evaluation at my new school. And today it was my day! It went well and usually does and I try to keep in mind that my supervisor is there to help me grow. That she will find things I am doing well and things that I could improve upon. Here are my best tips for staying calm and sane under the evaluation pressure.

1. Prepare: If you are not prepared, you will look scattered and disorganized. Have a plan. Go over your curriculum and have the materials ready, including your lesson plans, copies, and supplies. Lay them out so that you can find them easily and not have to spend time shuffling through piles to get to what you need.

2. Don't wait until the last minute: If you wait until the morning of your evaluation to make copies and get things ready, chances are something will not go wrong....at the least, you will be stressed. You never know when that copier will run out of toner or paper. 

3. Get some rest: Don't burn the midnight oil trying to pull out your most amazing lessons. Plan a strong lesson that showcases your normal classroom routine and get to bed on time. Supervisors seem to know which teachers are merely trying to impress them and pulling out something out of the ordinary in order to do so.

4. Arrive at school early: There's just something about being early that sets me at ease. I do not feel ready when I am walking in just in time or late. I want to go over everything one last time. I want to feel rested and relaxed, not rushed and stressed to start the day.

5. Shine: Stay upbeat and positive. Get into your groove and try to overlook the fact that someone is watching you. The more natural you are, the better. Focus on the kids. It is another school day for them, much like any other. Don't let them sense your discomfort. Bring it for them!

So there you have it, five tips for feeling better when your evaluation day comes up.


No comments:

Post a Comment