Saturday, May 5, 2018

Instant Engagement: Contraction Surgery



It is amazing what a few minutes of extra effort and some minor props can do for classroom engagement. Exhibit A: Contraction Surgery



This transformation was super simple and did not require a lot of supplies. I spent probably less that $20 and have extra supplies left over. At Walmart, I purchased a white table cloth, from the party section, for each of the groups. I also found bandaids that came in a box of 60 for less than $2.00. I picked up some more gloves for around $5.00 and I had masks left over from last year. I purchased a new contraction surgery set from TPT for this year. Last year when I did this transformation, I was teaching 3rd and 4th grade and I was thought that this new set fit my second graders much better. It was more basic. 

As soon as students walked into the room, there was a buzz as they tried to figure out what we would be doing for the day. I call that a huge win! If they are excited, I am excited and learning becomes natural, instead of forced. The concept of learning contractions isn't exactly the most engaging of topics, but with a little extra creativity, everyone was super excited and focused. 


This room transformation was simple and yet, it is one of those things that students look back on years from now and remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment