Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Super Improvers Wall

I love the idea I ran across, a few years ago, of the super improvers wall from whole brain teaching. The thought behind this is to recognize students who are improving. Students start at the bottom level. Each child has a white card with their name on it to begin with. For improvement, they earn a star. After ten stars, they move up a level. There is not a bunch of prizes or anything like that attached to the different levels, but some (not all) may have a surprise behind them such as being the line leader or some other privilege that kids love. What's great is that a student does not have to be good at their classwork to earn stars. Stars are for improvement in any area. So if a student keeps a messy desk and I notice that they are being more organized for a few days, I might reward them with a star. Or if a child has behavior challenges and I can really see that they are working on that, I will reward them with a star. It can also work for improvements in classwork. If a student always bombs the weekly spelling test and I see that the past couple of weeks they have studied and passed the test, I will reward them with a star. It's a very simple thing, but the students look forward to earning the stars and being noticed for trying harder to improve in a certain area.


Here are some links to other sites that have their own super improvers wall. If you would like the photoshop file, leave a comment below with your email address.


No comments:

Post a Comment